Friday, December 30, 2011

Next week's assignment - An Essay on a "Viral Video"

As we enjoy the first week of 2012, I'd like you to check out a "viral video" by Rebecca Black called "Friday."    It's the "most viewed" video of 2011.

Before you watch, however, let's first consider a question you might have: what is a "viral video?" As you know, when someone catches a cold, we can say they caught a virus that spread from someone else.  If that person coughs, another person will catch that same virus.  The key word here is "spread" - which is what a "viral video" does.  It spreads like a virus very quickly when people start telling their friends about something (or in the case of a cold, coughing on each other).




Here is a viral video I'm sure you've all seen before.


So now that you know what a viral video is, check out Rebecca Black's video.  After watching it, without knowing anything about it, I wasn't sure what to think.  Sometimes I thought it was a joke, but then I realized it was serious.  As for the lyrics..... hmmmm.  I won't be too critical, because I think Rebecca Black isn't writing this song for an old man like me to dance to.  Anyways, I'm curious what my writing students think.


During this camp, you are going to have to write a 500 word essay about a viral video, essentially researching it and giving your opinion on it - complete with links, quotes, and the video itself.  So, I'd like you to start thinking about a video you'd like to write about, and maybe posting it with some questions you'd like to answer later. 

In the case of Rebecca Black's video, a student would essentially decide if the video is good or not, giving reasons why. They could quote the opinions of other viewers that they agree or disagree with, and definitely would have to find some background information on Rebecca Black and her video, probably using Wikipedia as a place to start.  This video here might help you form an eductated opinion.

1 comment:

  1. I think Charlie bit me is really fun and cute.
    I also posted viral video with babies~~

    ReplyDelete