Thursday, December 29, 2011

Three Things About Mr. Garrioch

Hello Students,

As I described to you in class, I want you to write down three things about yourself on your blog, and one of them should be something that isn't true.  I'd like these three things to be descriptive with a bit of depth, and what we are NOT looking for is the following:

1. I like pizza.
2. I traveled to China last summer.
3. I have an older sister.

I don't know what your opinion is, but that list above is pretty boring.  First of all, most people like pizza.  Secondly, if you did go to China last summer, why not tell us where and why and for how many days?  China is a big interesting country, and "I traveled to China last summer" isn't going to improve or test your writing skills.  As for the last one about an older sister, it's not that interesting either.  However, it could be interesting if you described her. Do you like her?  Why?  Do you have any story you can tell about her?  How she saved you from lions at the zoo?  How she makes the best ramyon? How she's friends with one of the Wonder Girls?

Good writing is full of detail, and on more than a few blogs I'm seeing some lazy writing.  However, here are some good lists of three things....or even four things or five things.  Push yourself to write more than you are asked to.

Yewon in Class 14 wrote 13 things, and even wrote another post describing her first day at GLPS and some debate notes.

Vanessa also wrote a nice list with some healthy looking paragraphs. Hyunwoo has some nice description of a trip to the USA.  I wonder if it really happened.  Hmmmm.  Hyunseo is voicing some opinions on Dokdo, and adding to a growing list of interesting things.

Hyuntae seems to like food. And I have to say - I like his blog so far because his font is simple and easy to read, and everything looks nice.  Some of you have chosen some pretty wild fonts - too big or too small or too something!  Simple is always better.

Yein has a good looking list with some beautiful pictures, but one of them is on top of the list.  Try to make sure things end up where they belong.;)

So - as you can see, all of the students I mentioned above are in Class 14, and I didn't see much else to mention in the other classes I checked.  I know you've had less time, but you can look at Class 14 as an example to follow.  So - get writing!

And before I forget - here's three things about me!




1. I'm from Canada, so that means I LOVE HOCKEY.  I have two favorite teams: the Vancouver Canucks (where I used to live) and the Winnipeg Jets (where I was born).  I try to watch every game, and even have an iPad and an iPhone so I can watch games anywhere at any time.  Since the games I watch are in North America and I'm now living in Asia, I have to pay for an expensive membership to NHL.com so I can watch the games on the internet.  You'll probably see me eating lunch in the cafeteria watching live games on my iPhone.  All in all, I'm a true hockey nut!  Up above there's a video of a really great moment last summer during the Stanley Cup playoffs!  At the time, I was teaching my KMLA students and I started yelling in class. They didn't know why and thought I was crazy.

2. When I was a little bit younger (maybe a lot younger), I spent one year traveling all alone from Korea to the southern tip of India.  I never took any planes, and only boats and buses and trains and even a camel!  During that year I ate a lot of weird things (even a scorpion) and I met a lot of great people (along with some really weird ones).  I even got robbed in China, and appeared on Japanese television! It was an amazing experience.  Here's a picture I took which I'm really proud of.



3.  I teach writing and debate here at KMLA, and some of your PA's and TA's are my students.  If they ever give you any yellow cards, just tell them that you are going to pay Mr. Garrioch 5,000 wan to give them a B next semester, and they will probably take the yellow card back.  I'm a very scary teacher.

So, now you know a little bit about me.  One of the above is not true.  Can you guess?

    1 comment:

    1. Uh...hi!
      I'm class 15, and I'm attending to your class.
      Thanks for teaching us the diamonte poem!
      You know, while I was in thye Canada, I sort'a learned that, but I soon forgot that poem.
      And now, I learned this again!
      Thank you!
      Petra

      ReplyDelete